Alternate Joint Communications Center at Raven Rock
aka: Harry’s Hole, The Underground Pentagon
Site R is believed to be the ‘undisclosed location’ of Vice-President Dick Cheney.
Home to one of the two locations of the so-called shadow government â€” where, since Sept. 11, senior government officials have been taking turns living underground, waiting to run the nation in case Washington, D.C., 75 miles to the south, is devastated by an attack.
The initial concept for the Alternate Joint Communications Center was conceived in 1948. After 1949, the Soviet Union detonated its first nuclear weapon in 1949, a high priority was established for the Joint Command Post to be placed in a protected location with close proximity to Washington, D.C. for swift relocation of the National Command Authorities and the Joint Communications Service. In 1950, President Truman approved Raven Rock Mountain, Pennsylvania, as part of Camp Albert Ritchie, Maryland. This new site was named the Alternate Joint Communications Center (AJCC) Site R (R for Raven Rock). In 1951, construction of the facility began, and in 1953, the AJCC Site R became operational.